Aura shares her enthusiasm for drawing, writing and reading in visual literacy presentations, story time and illustration sessions with children at schools, festivals and libraries. Aura has been part of discussion panels for the CBCA as well as the Kids & YA Festival at NSW Writers' Centre. She has conducted workshops and story times at the Sydney Writers' Festival 2021 and the State Library of NSW and she was the artist in residence, drawing on stage at the Koala Awards for 2018. Aura is a great fit for preschool, K-2 and works with upper primary and high school students too.
EXAMPLE SESSION, Preschool and K-2 (50 mins, session content may vary)
- Story time with a couple of Aura Parker's picture books; Twig, Cocoon, Meerkat Splash, Goodnight Glow Worms or the Silly Seabed Song.
- Introduction to the process of writing and coming up with ideas, showing rough sketches and storyboards to illustrate the evolution of a project.
- Guided illustration demonstrating how to draw one of Aura's picture book characters (either Heidi from Twig, a meerkat or bug character), step by step to build drawing confidence. Students participate by doing an illustration in pencil on their clipboards, or work with charcoal. Older groups can move on to more expressive poses, with added emotion, encouraged to make their own individual characters.
- Sometimes Aura brings the real stick insects for show and tell.
- Fun book related drama games depending on age.
Sharing enthusiasm for reading, writing and drawing.
Knowledge of character design, gesture, pose, body language and how this contributes to the story.
The publication process from roughs to finished art (depending on the age of the students).
Screen and laptop to display Powerpoint presentation which Aura will bring on USB with her own clicker.
Clipboards and lead pencils for the students (or charcoal is great to work with too).
Whiteboard to use as an easel (Aura brings her drawing materials plus large sheets of paper and you can keep the drawing afterwards).
To book Aura please contact Beth at The Children's Bookshop Speakers' Agency.